Sunday, February 20, 2011

China Town Fair Is Closing


Instead of changing the title of the post since everybody from Arcade Heroes has been coming here from the link I thought I would just try to clear out all of the old news with the facts that other sites like Kotaku and Joystiq have been reporting.

I ended up hearing about the news of Chinatown Fair's closing on Sunday morning at 5AM. The first news broke from Henry Cen's Facebook profile and I ended up sending him a message asking him what was up. What I didn't know is that there was a whole bitter argument going on between Henry and others working at Chinatown Fair. Thankfully Kotaku called up the arcade directly to find out what was going on and Joystiq also had some more news from the owner Sam. Rather then just reposting what others have wrote I'll just give you guys the link to read it for yourself.



As of now I have not heard any updates on if the owner has been able to get a new lease for the arcade or if they will be moving to another location. Hopefully everything will work out in the end.

As I said in the previous post the video I shot a few years ago was featured in the Fighting Game Documentary, Run It Back. In the third part of the three part series, Justin Wong speaks fondly about growing up and playing fighters at Chinatown Fair. It's a great look into the world of fighting game players from new players just getting into the scene and people who help run and organize tournaments, there's a lot of great stuff to watch. Big thanks to Zaid for putting the whole thing together. Click the link and check out the first part.


And to close out this final edit post, I'd like to share a video from the fine folks over at FrameAdvantage.com. This is called an Ode to Chinatown Fair. Lots of great footage and interviews with everybody's memories of this New York landmark.


In closing, I'd like to say sorry for having up the old information and not editing this whole post sooner.


No comments:

Post a Comment