Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Silverball Museum Tour April 2013



Last weekend I had another chance to visit the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, New Jersey. The last video you saw was from the day they opened from being closed due to Hurricane Sandy. You'll notice the lineup of games have changed a bit from the last video. The biggest thing you'll notice is that all of the late 80's and 90's games are now along the right hand side wall once you walk in from the main entrance. They do a pretty good job of having the games set up from the year they were released but you'll see a few 80's games mixed in with some early 70's and even some 60's games.

The price to enter is only 20 dollars for a day pass, you can also by passes by the hour and they just added in a new nightly rate. For 10 dollars you can play from 6 to close on Sunday's through Thursdays and from 9 to close for Friday and Saturday nights. Their open all year so be sure to check them out!

http://silverballmuseum.com/

The one thing I've noticed about both Silverball and the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas is noticing what the people are playing. From the past two visits to Silverball and my week at the Hall of Fame I've noticed that people gravitate towards the late 80's, 90's and newer Stern games. It's everybody, old and young. More people seem to enjoy the newer stuff while the old Gottlieb "Wedge Head" games just sit there. That night I checked my watch to see what time it was and it was almost 11:00 so I walked away from playing Red and Ted's Roadshow to see that the other side of the arcade where the games range from the 40's to early 1980's was dead. Not a soul was playing Central Park, Slick Chick, Captain Fantastic or Surfer. Everybody was in the one row with all the 80's, 90's and current generation games. I guess it's what the owners grew up with. Because even at the Hall of Fame, people went right for X-Men, AC/DC and Monster Bash, while a huge chunk of the arcade with the 50-70's Gottlieb games don't get played. To me, the Gottlieb games feel the same to me, there's really noting keeping me from playing them more then once, even with a friend to compete against. I just love it once they added more music and gameplay modes that pinball really took a shine to me. I'd love to see them add a couple of more 90's games but it seems like they want to keep a place to play more classic era games.

How do you feel about that? Drop a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment