Friday, October 11, 2013

New York Comic Con Day 1


Don't touch Lola


Hey folks! Nick here with the first days happenings at the 2013 New York Comic Con! As usual the whole Javits Center is friggen huge and even though today was for Press, Pro's and people who got 4-Day and Thursday badges, it was still really crowded. I thought I'd be able to get right up to the booths to get videos of games but it was jammed packed. I was shocked at how many kids skipped school to be there. Since there's a lot to talk about I'm going to make a page break, so if you want to read about the games I played, be sure to hit the jump! I'll be getting all the videos I can together to make them into one or two videos for next week.



I'll try to go company by company and discuss what they had to offer at each booth.

Nintendo 
As usual, one of the most crowded booths at the show. Nintendo had the 3DS, Wii-U and the all new 2DS out in full force. The 2DS actually felt really nice. It does look like a red and black cheese wedge, but it wasn't that bad. I know a lot of folks don't like the 3D and some can't use it at all. The one thing I don't like is it's using the smaller screens of the normal DS. I just got a 3DS XL and I've been loving the bigger screen. I can finally see more of Contra 4! The two things I didn't like at the booth, most of the stations didn't have the volume up on the games so you couldn't hear them. The other thing I hated was Bayonetta 2....they only had ONE unit running the game and of course it had the longest demo time and the longest line. I was able to play two other games while one person was playing. It still looks like a lot of fun, just wanted to play it. 

On the 3DS side they of course had demos of Pokemon X and Y where you got a little 7 minute slice of the game. Sonic Lost World, Batman: Black Gate which was running an older E3 build. One of the devs told me the game plays much smoother then the demo they brought with them. It feels like a Batman game, but in 2 and a half D. The demo had you running up rooftops trying to chase Catwoman. I also got to play Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Link to the Past is my favorite video game of all time so I was really looking forward to this. It's very smooth and plays great. The new gimmick of being able to phase into the walls like a chalk drawing is fun, but can get pretty frustrating. They had two demos, one you could run around the overworld and the other was in a dungeon. The dungeon part had me confused and I had no idea where to go. I'll try it again to see if I can figure it out. Super Mario 3D World was there too and I got to finally play as Peach in another game. She floats just like she did in Mario 2, but not as far. I hope they fix that. I miss using the Game Genie code where she could float through the whole level. 

Capcom
You can tell Capcom is hurting. They went from being the one of the most crowded booths when Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was shown off to kind of in the corner. They were showing off Monster Hunter 3, which for the life of me, I can't get into. They had the same demo of Phoenix Wright for the 3DS that's on the EShop and one unit with Ducktales Remastered. The big thing they had was six units of the new Strider. It looks and plays damn good. It's also really tough. My first time I died not even five minutes into the demo but I came back later and progressed a little bit further. The game is going to be out on everything but the Vita, 3DS and Wii-U in "early 2014" so no official release date. It's just weird not seeing ONE fighting game shown off at their booth.

Namco/Bandai 
Namco/Bandai has multiple booths at the show. One booth has the new Dragon Ball Z game, Naruto, Pac-Man and Power Rangers. Still no Gundam Extreme Vs...come on guys! The guys from Shifty Look are there, but sadly without the awesome arcade full of classic Namco arcade games...boo-urns! They had the new Adventure Time and Regular Show games as well as Earth Defense Force 2025 which I know a lot of folks are looking forward too. The demo had you as a commander of ground troops fighting a plague of giant ants trying to take over the city. Pure cheese, but oh so much fun. I also got to meet the voice actor, Rob Paulson who voices Barvoman in the Shifty Look web series. He's a really nice guy and I even got him to sign my old TMNT graphic novel. Can't wait to see him again on Saturday at the "I Know That Voice" panel.

So that's a sum of what I did today at the con. I'd go into even more detail but it's 1AM and I gotta get back on the wonderful LIRR tomorrow! So stay tuned tomorrow for another update! 


No comments:

Post a Comment