Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Barcade NYC Walkthrough Tour (May 2014)



For the past couple of months the over on Instagram and Tumblr I've been noticing the guys from Barcade have been posting some cryptic photos. As you may know Barcade has had three locations. The original in Brooklyn, Jersey City and the last one opened up in Philly. I started seeing photos of the inside of a different bar and naturally everybody else wondered what was up. Turns out there was a fourth Barcade in the works in the heart of Manhattan! So after commenting on one of the photos I ended up getting in contact with one of the owners of Barcade, Paul.

I told Paul how we had visited the Brooklyn location MANY times and also had a couple of videos including one during Halloween when they had a Polybius cab near the restroom. After going back and forth I was able to setup a meeting with Paul where I was able to come in a few weeks early to give the place an exclusive tour!

Now that we can post longer videos on YouTube I've put together this almost 20 minute long video look at the newest Barcade! We start off with an interview with Paul as I ask him the genesis of Barcade and what where some of the first arcade games he collected where. He then talks about some of the more flagship games that he wanted to include in the new location like the environmental Discs of Tron, Sega's Time Traveler and a full sized six player Konami X-Men!

Then we're off on the walkthrough tour of the new location! Some games you might know from other Barcades like Nintendo's Punch-Out and Donkey Kong, Ms.Pac-Man and Galaga and some great games I haven't seen in a long time and some for the very first time like Nintendo's Arm Wrestling and CDI's Slither. Plus something I've never seen, the full Atari Star Wars Trilogy with both vector graphics Star Wars and the sequel, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

I want to give a very special thanks to Paul and the rest of the Barcade crew for allowing me to get some early coverage of the bar a few weeks before their grand opening. When they have an announcement of the grand opening I'll be sure to update the video and post about it here!

(Sorry about the date mistake I made, I've updated the video!)

No comments:

Post a Comment