Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The Arcade Games in Friday the 13th Part 2!

 

We are currently in that limbo where summer is not quite over, yet Halloween candy and pumpkin beer has begun appearing on store shelves. While I (2600) like to partake in celebrating Halloween while the weather is still warm enough to swim, I do refrain from jumping right into some Halloween movie staples. Instead, I prefer to ease into the season by watching the Friday the 13th films. During my annual rewatch, I noticed some arcade related goodness. Below are a few arcade games I spotted in Friday the 13th Part 2 and one bonus mystery game!



Namco's Galaxian!

The bar scene in Friday the 13th Part 2 is not only a quintessential scene for isolating a few victims for Jason, but it also serves as a great scene to see some of the characters unwind. During this scene you can spot an sweet Galaxian cabinet in the back. While a lot of people may remember playing Galaxian in the 80’s, it was a blindspot for me. My memories for Galaxian come from playing later TV plug in Namco games.







Bally's Kiss Pinball!

As we move further into the bar scene we spot a KISS pinball machine. KISS was released by Bally in 1979. The game boasts some of the coolest pop bumpers seen on a 70’s pinball machine. I try to play the KISS pinball machine at the American Classic Arcade Museum whenever I visit.







Williams Topaz!

Topaz is one of many shuffle alley games that use to litter bars all across America. The big deal about Topaz was that it was billed as the first solid state shuffle alley. While I never played Topaz, I do have fond memories of playing shuffle alley games. One that stands out the most is from when my dad and uncle snuck me into a beach bar when I was 12. I spent many hours playing a shuffle alley game and knocking back Shirley Temples. 





Bonus Mystery Game!


There’s a scene towards the end of Friday the 13th Part 2 where we spot another shuffle alley in the background. I was unable to determine which shuffle alley game this was. The style seems similar to shuffle alley games from the 50’s. If you recognize it, give us a shout!


Thank you for reading about the arcade games found in Friday the 13th Part 2. The arcade flyers in this article all came from The Arcade Flyer Archive. Be sure to check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment